Saturday, August 30, 2008

This Blog

My name is Allie Welsh. I have started this blog to accompany my Etsy Store (www.etsy.com) , Apartment C (www.allingwelsh.etsy.com). Apartment C was started about a year and half ago when I got out of college and lived in, yes, that's right, apartment C. At its beginning, I was sewing odds and ends, doing projects for my mom, hemming for friends. One weekend I decided to make my cat a bed from a fantastic Ikea fabric. When I discovered she hated it, I listed it at my Etsy Store. From there, the Apartment C Pet Bed line was born.

My parents gave me my first sewing machine when I was very young. It was my mom's old singer and it barely worked. My first REAL sewing machine came on my 17th birthday, again from my parents. My current sewing machine, a Janome, was given to me last year for my 24th birthday, from my boyfriend.

I keep a sewing room at my grandmother's house. She kindly gave me an entire room. The windows look down a hill and into the Chester River(to the left). In the photo to the right, my windows are the third from the left on the second floor.

I was raised about a mile from her house in a log cabin in the woods. My brothers and I spent most of our time outside in the woods, building houses, digging up ant lions and catching toads. When I look for fabric, I am often drawn to nature prints and anything Scandinavian. I love bright colors, repetitive designs, polka dots and corduroy. Hunting for fabric in second hand stores and Good Wills is one of my favorite things to do.

No comments: